Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas and the Aftermath.

Merry Christmas, Solstice and other festive tradition you may follow.

For anyone who has ever celebrated Christmas, you know it's a stressful time of year. This year, I celebrated it with my immediate family and both of my boys. Introducing my mum to these important men in the same room for the first time was actually probably one of the least stressful things of the day. My brother and sister adored my partner, who they were both meeting in person for the first time.

I may just have the very best family in the world.

Boxing Day was celebrated with an early trip to the local cinema with my fiancee for the first (of many, I hope!) viewings of the movie Les Miserables.



This is not a movie you will go to see because Anne Hathoway is gorgeous. Of course she is. But that's not the focus of this role. The focus of this role is someone that life has treated incredibly harshly. The fact that this movie is a musical means that that horror needs to be depicted in such a way that the main song for her can be understood and empathised with.

Well! Let me tell you. I've been a fan of Anne Hathoway's since The Princess Diaries, when she was a lot younger and so was I. Her role in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland excited me because it was such a different role for her. The Dark Knight Rises had me watching trailers for months before the movie actually came out, and the movie fulfilled for me every promise previously made in Batman canon between the lead character and Catwoman in Batman Returns, another movie directed by Burton from 1992.

This role blew them all out of the water. I'm not going to say a whole lot more, because we are still three days after release date and I know a lot of people wouldn't have seen it yet. Maybe I'll say more on my second, third or fourth viewings ;)

The day after Boxing Day, my partner's daughter flew over from Perth to spend a couple of weeks with us. Melbourne, being the fickle place it is, dropped about 10 degrees and was downright chilly by the time she arrived. Luckily for us, we had a spare jacket for her. Strangely enough, something that is quite well fitting on my partner's shoulders doesn't fit so closely on his eight year old daughter.



I had already made the decision before she flew across that I did not want to be unwell during her stay. A sobbing maudlin mess does not a good carer of children make. It was with this in mind that I made the promise that I would stick to my regime of faux anti-depressants (St John's wort) for a solid two weeks, starting well before

Why is this? you may say. You seemed to be doing so very well on them the last time you posted them. Surely the original two weeks is almost up, you may say.

You'd be correct to say so. But this person over here was just smart enough to decide, 'Well, Self, you seem to be doing well again. Don't need those tablets anymore.'

Big mistake.

So big, in fact, that this ended in a bout of four hours sobbing on my fiancee two days after I stopped taking them, and a shaky several days thereafter. I haven't learned to be happy without assistance yet. It was, maybe, cocky to think that a couple of days would have made all the difference.

So, a solid couple of weeks with them to help me before talking about stopping them a second time around.


As for writing? I have a few ideas brewing, but it's still holiday season! Come back to me at the end of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment